Here is our Summer 2016 class schedule. (Alert: Pop-up classes happen! Please check back with this blog and with our Ravelry Gosh Yarn It! Group for late additions throughout the summer.)
LEARN TO KNIT
(1) 1 hour session: Saturdays, 11:30am-12:30pm – May 7, June 4, July 16
Let’s get knitting! Progressing at your own pace, you’ll master casting on, the knit and purl stitches, and binding off. All materials will be provided for first class. $5 of your class fee will be refunded as a store credit that may be used for the purchase of yarn and needles for take-home practice the day of your class or for registration for another session.
OPEN CLASSROOM: Private Instruction
Now you can design your own private lessons in knitting or crochet. What would you like to learn? You pick the project and/or the techniques. Register for a single hour-long lesson or save when you purchase two or more classes, which can be scheduled at mutually convenient times. Want to work on the same project with friends? Groups of up to 3 can be accommodated at the same time.
Fees: 1 class – $15; 2 classes – $27.50; 3 classes – $40
(6) 1 hour sessions: Saturdays, 10:00-11:00 – May 14; June 4, 18; July 9, 23; August 6 (August 6 session will be 2 hours)
If you’ve been knitting along at home and are ready to begin Block 8, you can still join the class! The complete Building Blocks series will begin again in the fall. Each of the 12 blocks focuses on new stitches and techniques, building upon the previously learned skill. If you knit through all 12, you’ll not only have boosted your knitting know-how, you’ll have 12 beautiful squares to assemble into a sampler afghan, baby blanket, pillows, or use individually as dishcloths. Building Blocks creator Michelle Hunter offers online video tutorials for all techniques. Purchase of Building Blocks instruction book required. Attend as many à la carte sessions as you like or purchase a punch card for 6 sessions and save $10.
Fee: $15 per session or 6/$80
A TASTE OF BRIOCHE: THE RANGE SHAWL
(1) 3 hour session: Saturday, June 4; 1:00-4:00pm
Andrea Mowry’s Range is a fun sampler shawl that includes sections of garter, stockinette, and slipped stitches and just enough brioche stitch for you to become completely comfortable with this double knitting technique.
LORI VERSACI’S BASIC KID SWEATER
(2) 2 hour sessions: Saturday, June 18 & Saturday, July 16; 1:30-3:30pm
The Basic Kid pullover is made with the classic construction method of knitting a sweater in 4 pieces (front, back, and two sleeves) for great fit and durability. You’ll master gauge, seaming, and picking up stitches. Pattern sized 2-14; smallest size recommended for class project.
MAKE A FIRST SOCK: CHURCHMOUSE WEE BABY SOCKS
(1) 4 hour session: Saturday, July 30; 12:00-4:00pm
Ready to become addicted to sock knitting? Begin your sock adventures by knitting cuff down on double points. In this workshop you’ll make a small baby sock to speed through the basics of sock construction.
OOPS: FIXING MISTAKES
1 hour session: Saturday, August 6; 2:00-3:00pm
Learn to see the structure of a good stitch so you’ll know what to do when one goes wrong, including how to pick up and repair dropped stitches, safely un-knit (“frog”), and how to fix stitches without ripping out.
MARTINA BEHM’S BRAIDSMAID
(1) 2 hour session: Saturday, August 13; 1:30-3:30pm
Bridesmaid is an asymmetrical garter stitch shawl with a twist – a “spine” of reversible knitted cable, a great design for showcasing a soft luxury yarn. Pattern is adjustable to make custom sized shawl.
* * *
GOSH YARN IT! CLASS POLICIES
To register or for more information, telephone 570.287.9999 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
With the exception of Learn to Knit, basic knitting skills are required for all our classes. You must know how to cast on, knit, purl, and bind off.
- 72 hours advance notice required for both class registration and class withdrawal with refund.
- Unless otherwise noted, supplies are not included in class fees. Class supply lists provided upon registration.
- In-stock supplies for all classes may be purchased by class participants at a 10% discount. (We really appreciate your buying all your class supplies from us!)
- Plan to purchase supplies and wind yarn prior to the first day of your class. If this is not possible, plan to arrive in plenty of time before your first class session starts. A yarn swift and ball winder are available for student use.
- Classes are filled on a first come, first served basis. Payment is due when you register. We accept reservations by telephone with payment by Visa, MasterCard, or Discover.
- A pre-paid class fee will only be refunded if at least 72 hours advance notice of withdrawal is given. If less than 72 hours notice is given, a refund will only be made if we are able to fill your space in the class with another student.
- Gosh Yarn It! reserves the right to cancel or reschedule classes that do not meet the required minimum enrollment of 3 students; class fees will be refunded or may be used to register for future classes. Any class cancelled due to inclement weather will be re-scheduled.
- A missed individual class session cannot be refunded or made up, but we’ll be happy to try to help you catch-up.
* * *
Summer 2016 Class Supplies
Copy of Building Blocks (available at GYI), 125 yds. worsted weight yarn per square; US7/4.5mm or US8/5mm 24” circular needles; ring stitch markers.
Taste of Brioche: Range Shawl
Copy of Range pattern (available at GYI), 4 skeins worsted weight yarn, at least 198 yards each, in main color and 3 contrast colors; 32-40” US8/5mm circular needle; row counter.
Lori Versaci’s Basic Kid Sweater
Copy of Basic Kid pattern (available at GYI), 525 yards DK-light worsted weight yarn; US6/4mm straight or 24” circular needles, also US6/4mm 16” circular needle, row counter.
Make a First Sock: Churchmouse Wee Baby Sock
Copy of Churchmouse Classics Basic Sock (available at GYI), 100 yds. fingering weight sock yarn; US1.5/2.5mm double point needles.
Oops: Fixing Mistakes
50 yds. worsted weight yarn, US 8/5mm needles
Pre-class homework: Cast on 30 sts. Work stockinette (knit on RS, purl on WS) for 10 rows. Do not bind off or cut yarn.
Martina Behm’s Braidsmaid
Copy of Braisdmaid pattern (available at GYI), approximately 660 yards DK-light worsted weight yarn; US6/4mm 24” or 32” circular needle or size appropriate to yarn; row counter.
* * *
Range photo ©Andrea Mowry 2016; Basic Kid photo ©Gale Zucker 2014; Braidsmaid photo ©Martina Behm 2015