Here is the schedule for our winter classes, January-March. We’ve enjoyed developing classes around patterns that not only teach important skills but will also yield garments that will be fun to make. There are two completely new offerings, Knitting 201 and The Open Classroom that join Knitting 101 as staples of our yearly class calendar. Speaking of Knitting 101, it has been given a bit of a makeover. It’s still free but is no longer a drop-in session. You’ll now have a choice between Wednesday and Saturday mornings, too. We’re very excited about this new batch of classes, but check back here occasionally – new classes may just pop up!
(1) 30-minute session
February 25, March 25
January 31, February 28, March 28
Learn the knitting basics for free: the knitted cast on, knit, purl, and bind off. With advance registration, you may attend as many Knitting 101 classes you need until you’re ready for Knitting 201. Needles and yarn will be supplied for in-class practice; 10% discount on purchase of needles and yarn the day of your first class.
NEW: Knitting 201
(1) 2-hour session
February 4, March 4
February 7, March 7
Once you’re comfortable with the fundamentals taught in Knitting 101, you’re ready to learn more advanced techniques you’ll use regularly. This 2-hour class covers the long-tail cast on, how to knit in the round on circular needles, how to knit simple stitch patterns, and making increases and decreases. How to read yarn ball bands, gauge, and fixing simple mistakes are also discussed.
The class project is the Dustland Hat, a Stephen West pattern.
Materials: Copy of Dustland Hat, available at GYI; 1 skein Berroco Ultra Alpaca or 218 yds. worsted weight yarn; 16″ US 6 / 4mm circular & 16″ US 7 / 4.5mm circular needles, 1 set US 7 / 4.5mm DPNs
(1) 2-hour session: Saturday, January 31; 2:00-4:00pm
Plain back-and-forth knitting getting a little boring? Olga Buraya-Kefelian’s Moko-Moko Cowl has an open, three dimensional texture from an ingenious stitch pattern. You can even try your hand at knitting backwards. Recommended for adventurous knitters. Fee includes copy of pattern.
Materials: 330 yds. worsted weight yarn (natural fiber yarns, such as wool, alpaca, etc., recommended); US 7 / 4.5mm needles, waste yarn, crochet hook, darning needle
Seamless Baby Wrap
(2) 1-hour sessions: Saturday, February 7 & February 14; 1:30-2:30pm
You’ll get instant sweater gratification when you make this sweet cardigan from Suzie Fry. There’ll be plenty of time later to knit your sweaters in pieces that require seaming and more complicated finishing techniques. Start off with an easy seamless topdown in worsted weight yarn that will become your go-to baby shower gift and teach you the basics of sweater construction.
Materials: Copy of Seamless Baby Wrap with Collar and Raglan Sleeves, 310-545 yds. worsted weight yarn; US 8 / 5mm straight or circular needles, 1 set US 8 / 5mm DPNs or size for gauge of 17 sts/24 rows = 4”, ring markers
A Christmas Stocking
(3) 1-hour sessions: Saturday, February14, 21 & 28; 12:00-1:00pm
Every knitter should try making socks. With the Basic Sock from Churchmouse Classics in bulky yarn on big needles, you’ll not only learn everything you’ll need to know about sock knitting, but also make the perfect Christmas stocking.
Materials: Copy of Basic Sock pattern, available at GYI; 250 yds. bulky weight yarn; 16” US 10 / 6mm circular, 1 set US 10 / 6mm DPNs, darning needle
Big Easy Lace Cowl
(2) 1-hour sessions: Saturday March 7 & 21; 2:00-3:00pm
English Mesh Lace Scarf, a simple, well-written Churchmouse pattern, will introduce you to lace knitting. We’ve adapted the pattern to make a cowl with bulky yarn. You’ll learn basic increase and decrease stitches, chart reading, how to “read” your lace knitting, and how to catch little mistakes before they grow.
Materials: Copy of English Mesh Lace Scarf pattern, available at GYI; 100 yds. bulky weight yarns, 24” US 11 / 8mm circular needles, waste yarn, crochet hook, darning needle
(3) 1-hour sessions: Saturday, February 28, March14 & 28; 2:00-3:00pm
Winter, be gone! Knit a delicate shawl that will be ready by the time warmer weather finally arrives: Moulin Rouge by Kirsten Kapur. Worked from its picot edge up to the neck, Moulin Rouge gets its crescent shape from short rows. Our shop sample was made with 2 skeins of Berroco Folio, a featherweight alpaca blend, but this pattern would also be ideal for a single skein of fingering. The first class will cover the picot cast on, the second will cover short rows in the body of the shawl, and blocking lace will be demonstrated in the third session.
Materials: Copy of Moulin Rouge, available at GYI; 375 yds. fingering weight yarn; US 8 / 5mm needles.
NEW: The Open Classroom
What would you like to learn? Now you can design your own private lessons in knitting or crochet! You pick the project and/or the techniques you want to master, and we’ll be here to help. Register for a single hour-long lesson or save when you purchase two or more classes, which can be scheduled as needed on any day Open Classroom is offered. Want to work on the same project with friends? Groups of up to 3 can be accommodated at the same time.
1 class – $15
2 classes – $27.50
3 classes – $40
January 29; February 5, 12, 19, 26; March 5, 12, 19, 26
January 30; February 6,13, 20, 27; March 6, 13, 20, 27
GOSH YARN IT! CLASS POLICIES
To register or for more information, telephone 570.287.9999 or email email@example.com
- With the exception of Knitting 101, basic knitting skills are required for all our classes. You must know how to knit, purl, cast on, and bind off. If you’d like help mastering the fundamentals before taking a class, drop in on a free Knitting 101 session.
- 72 hours advance notice required for both class registration and withdrawal.
- Unless otherwise noted, supplies are not included in class fees.
- In-stock supplies for all classes may be purchased by class participants at a 10% discount. (We really appreciate your buying all your class supplies from us!)
- Classes are filled on a first come, first served basis. Payment is due when you sign-up. We accept reservations by telephone with payment by Visa, MasterCard, or Discover.
- A pre-paid class fee will only be refunded if more than 72 hours advance notice is given that you are withdrawing. If fewer than 72 hours notice is given, a refund will only be made if we are able to fill your space in the class with another student.
- Gosh Yarn It! reserves the right to cancel or reschedule classes that do not meet the required minimum enrollment of 3 students; class fees will be refunded or may be used to register for future classes. Any class cancelled due to inclement weather will be re-scheduled.
- A missed individual session of a class cannot be refunded or made up, but we’ll be happy to try to help you catch-up on what you missed.