We happen to think that summer is the very best time of year to stitch, with longer days and more leisure hours to relax with your take-along projects. You can get a head start on holiday gifts. Why, you can even start and finish what you’ll want to wear once summer is over. So when the weather heats up, don’t stop knitting or crocheting, just go to summer camp!
GYI Summer Camp, our first ever, is absolutely free. It consists of 3 monthly themed projects, June through August. You get to choose your own pattern for each theme. The only fitness test is that all yarn used must have come from GYI. You can register for one, two, or all three months of camp.
There will be “merit badges” ($10 GYI gift cards) for all campers who finish their projects on time in June and/or July. If you finish all three, you’ll be entered in a drawing to win the GYI Happy Camper Award, a pretty project tote filled with yarn and other goodies. Take a class during camp, and you will also be eligible to win. August Campers’ names will automatically be entered in the drawing. You can shop at the “camp store” for yarn for your camp projects and save 20% on up to 2 skeins per month.
This is a virtual camp, and attendance at camp functions at the shop is non-compulsory, so we invite even our out-of-town customers to sign up! If you can join us around the “campfire” on Thursday evenings, 6-8 pm, and Saturday afternoons, 2-4 pm, in June, July, and August, there will be bug juice and s’mores for everybody. We’ll even have our Camp Infirmary open then for “first-aid” if you run into any problems with your project.
The monthly activity themes are:
June – COLOR WAR
Choose a pattern worked in at least two colors of yarn.
July – MAKE NEW FRIENDS BUT KEEP THE OLD
Choose both a pattern and a fiber you’ve never used before OR crochet a project if you are a knitter/knit a project if you are a crocheter.
August – SECRET PAL
Choose a pattern for a gift to knit/crochet.
Of course, there have to be some CAMP RULES:
- Registration and Camp Store is now open for June Camp. You must register by June 5th to qualify for a merit badge and a Camp Gosh Yarn It! T-shirt. Camp Store closes June 10th.
- You may register for all camps by phone, email, on Ravelry.com in the GYI Group summer camp discussion thread, or in person. When you register, you will declare the pattern you will be using. All yarn used in your project must have been purchased at Gosh Yarn It!, but you may use GYI yarn from your stash.
- Registration and Camp Store will open on June 25th for July Camp. You must register by July 1st to qualify for a merit badge. Camp Store will close July 10th.
- Registration and Camp Store will open on July 23rd for August Camp. You must register by August 1st to qualify for entry in the Happy Camper Award drawing. Camp Store will close August 10th.
- If you create a project page on Ravelry.com for your camp projects, be sure to include the tag ”campgyi13.”
- Projects may not be cast on earlier than 12:00 am on the first day of the month and must be completed no later than 11:59 pm on the last day of the month. Upon completion, you must call or email the shop with your finish date and/or post on the GYI Summer Camp thread on Ravelry.com.
- Camp discount of 20% is good for up to two skeins of any yarn but may not be combined with any other discount. Frequent Buyer points will be awarded at the Camp Store but may not be redeemed on any camp purchase.
- You may swatch before the first of the month.
So if you haven’t already started sewing name tags in your gotchies by now, what are you waiting for? Our little cabins are filling up, and if you want to be sure to get the top (or the bottom) bunk, register today!
Looks like the sheep and lamb pictures from Maryland will have to wait one more post because there have been quite a few FOs brought in this week, perhaps folks are getting WIPs completed before the start of summer camp? In the last post, in which Tina’s Raspberry Mix No. 3* shawl was pictured, I mentioned that lately Tina has been investing heavily in Shibui Staccato and Silk Cloud. Here’s how her investment has paid off…
After Raspberry, Tina completed a second in Watermelon and a third in UV, that electric purple. Just magnificent.
Alice knit up this dreamy shawl with the mega-skein of five coordinated hand-dyed yarns from Dyelot Yarns known as the Stimulus Package.
She also completed her first Churchmouse Shoulder Cozy* in a Debbie Bliss Angel mohair/silk and one of the Kaffe Fassett colorways of Regia Hand-dye Effect fingering. Both shawl and cozy are definitely going to earn Alice many compliments whenever she wears them.
Mary is the latest convert to our Louet Gems Sport machine washable and dryable 100% merino. With a tight twist and a smooth hand, it is ideal for both knit and crocheted garments. Mary’s light and lovely short sleeved cardigan could make a convert of you, too.
Joan S. gathered some tosh merino light in Grasshopper and Gilded and solved Romi Hill’s first mystery knit-along (KAL), the Mysterious Shawl. The mystery of the pattern’s real name will also be revealed after the end of the KAL.
Romi Hill has really outdone herself with this design, and Joan has realized it beautifully. Take a closer look at this amazing, delicate work…
Marsha knit not one but three wee little hats that showcase three different machine washable yarns that are all great choices for babies’ and children’s things: Cascade Fixation, Liberty Wool from Classic Elite, and Cascade Superwash Sport. They are cuter than cute to the third power.
We’ll continue to offer classes and special events throughout the summer. The class schedule will be posted here next week. We are also delighted to be welcoming back Stephanie Hogan, our Ravelry guru, for another free Ravelry Roundtable on Saturday, June 29th at 1:00 pm. You’ll learn how to get the most out of Ravelry.com, an awesome resource for knitters and crocheters. And if you can’t join us at camp, remember there are plenty of portable projects like Marsha’s trio of hats or Alice’s Shoulder Cozy to keep you cool this summer. Just keep on stitchin’!
Patterns marked with an asterisk* are available at Gosh Yarn It!