The weather is finally listening to us. I actually opened a few of the windows at the shop the other day! Warmer days are a reminder that it’s almost time for our bus trip to the 40th Annual Maryland Sheep & Wool Festival – only 10 days, in fact. Seats are still available, folks. We’d love it if you could join us for the trek south in our Martz bus on Sunday, May 5, stitching all the way. It’s easy to reserve your $60 seat over the telephone; just call the shop (570.287.9999) with your credit card nearby. We’ll get on the road at 6:30 a.m., departing from the Wyoming Valley Mall. Somehow we’ll manage to drag ourselves away from all the yarn, fiber, sheep, and fun around 3:00 p.m. so we can be back home by 6:00 p.m. If you’ve never been to MDSW, their website is here, and our post about our 2012 trip is here.
Edited to add: Our bus will make a stop at Exit 145 off I-81. If you live in the Sugarloaf/Conyngham/Hazleton area – basically if you live closer to I-80 than to Wilkes-Barre – we can pick you up near the Top of the 80’s Restaurant!
Jill and I are starting to make out our shopping list for the yarn industry trade show in Ohio in June. The shop will be closed Friday, June 21 and Saturday, June 22 while we’re away buying all the best new fall/winter yarns. We’re also busy right now picking projects for GYI’s “summer camp,” which will begin after we return from the show. With no Ravelennic Games to train for, we’re planning some pretty cool stuff to lure you in out of the summer heat. Also on our punch list is a “public yarn art” project (the phrase “yarn bombing” has completely lost its appeal, wouldn’t you agree?) that will coincide with World Wide Knit in Public Week, June 8-16. Until details are ready to announce, we do have some late spring classes for you on the calendar. Some have been rescheduled, others are brand spanking new. Enjoy!
Undulating Waves Scarf
Try a new way of working with beads to make them seem to “float” on the knitted waves of this pretty pattern. Directions are both written and charted. Experience with lace knitting required.
Saturday, April 27, 1:00-3:00 p.m., $30
Copy of Undulating Waves pattern (available at shop); approx. 400 yds. fingering weight yarn, preferably variegated; US 6 needles; Size 6 glass beads; Floss threader or beading needle
Now you see it, now you don’t. “Shadow” or “illusion” knitting produces an image visible only when the work is held at an angle. Learn the technique with a small practice square in cotton or a cowl in sport weight wool. Charting your own “secret” designs will also be discussed.
Thursday, May 2, 4:00-5:30 p.m., $20
Tahki Cotton Classic, 1 skein each of 2 contrasting colors for sampler square or Fibre Company Road to China Light, 1 skein each of 2 contrasting colors for cowl; US 6 needles; waste yarn for cowl.
Mastering Kitchener Stitch
Grafting or “Kitchenering” live stitches creates a completely invisible seam, and it’s much easier than you may think. Joining stockinette, garter, ribbing, and seed stitch will be covered.
Saturday, May 4, 10:30 am-12:00 pm, $20.
Darning needle, scissors. Other materials included in class fee.
Imagine creating your pattern as you knit. Learn the German short row method (used in “swing knitting”) to improvise your own original scarf design – changing colors, yarn, and direction whenever you want.
Saturday, May 18, 10:30 am-12:00 pm, $20.
Approx. 200 yds. total of 2 or more coordinating yarns of your choice, size needles appropriate to yarns chosen, locking stitch markers.
Neither needle felting nor wet felting, Artfelt® is a new technique that’s fun to learn, quick to do, and requires no knitting or previous felting experience. You’ll make a 4×5″ mini clutch, perfect for business cards or small notions. All class materials included in required kit purchase. (Project will need to be finished at home in a clothes dryer.)
Saturday, June 1, 2:00-3:30 pm, $20.
Artfelt® “Mini Catch All” Kit
Weaving: Extra Texture From Your Pick-up Stick
Linda will show you how to use the pick-up stick for your rigid heddle loom as a third heddle to add distinctive texture to your fabric.
Saturday, June 15, 1:00-3:00 pm, $20.
A warped rigid heddle loom, warped up as per the directions you will receive when you register for the class, 1 wound shuttle.
Private Lessons: Socks
Want some help getting started or maybe some tips and tricks to fine tune your sock knitting? Whether you want to work top down or toe up on DPNs, two circulars, or magic loop, you can now get the help you need in one-to-one private instruction.
Note: We recommend the top down method for a knitter’s first pair of socks.
By appointment, $15/hour.
Knitting 101 / FREE
Instructors: Ann Ross / Jill Schwartz
Ready to be a knitter? Stop in the shop for an hour on a Tuesday afternoon. You’ll learn the basics: to cast-on, knit and purl, and cast-off. No advance registration required.
WEEKLY Stitch & Spins / FREE
Come to a Stitch & Spin session and bring whatever project you’d like to work on. Enjoy the company of your fellow knitters, crocheters, and spinners. Coffee and tea available.
Thursdays, 6:00-8:00 p.m.
Saturdays, 1:00-4:00 p.m.
And, of course, the fine print…
GOSH YARN IT! CLASS POLICIES
- To register or request more information, contact Gosh Yarn It!, 570.287.9999, or email@example.com
- Complete supply lists will be provided with registration.
- Basic knitting skills are required for all our classes. You must know how to cast on, knit, purl, and bind off. If you’d like help mastering the fundamentals before taking a class, drop in on a free Knitting 101 session (see above).
- Unless otherwise noted, supplies are not included in class fees.
- In-stock supplies for all classes may be purchased by class participants at a 10% discount either in advance or on the day of the first class. (We really appreciate your buying all your class supplies from us!)
- Classes are filled on a first come, first served basis. Payment is due when you sign-up. We accept reservations by telephone with payment by Visa, MasterCard, or Discover.
- A pre-paid class fee will only be refunded if at least 5 days advance notice is given that you will not be attending. If fewer than 5 days notice is given, a refund will only be made if we are able to fill your space in the class with another student. An un-refunded class fee is transferable and may be used to register for future classes.
- Class size, unless otherwise noted is 3-6 students. Gosh Yarn It! reserves the right to cancel or reschedule classes that do not meet the required minimum enrollment (but we hope we’ll never need to). A missed individual session of a class cannot be refunded or made up (but we’ll be happy to try to help you catch-up on what you missed). Any class cancelled due to inclement weather will be re-scheduled.